Tuesday, March 26, 2013

SEW on...

 I got my new Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 on Friday night.  I was sew excited (sorry, couldn't resist).  I unpacked it, read through the manual and did some practice stitches.  Did I mention it does over 600 stitches, of course there are lots of button hole options and  some of the decorative stitches will do a left facing, right facing, upside down left facing, upside down right facing.  It has about 588 more stitches than my old Kenmore has.  The Kenmore is about 30 years old and will never die. In the sewing machine world it is called 'a workhorse'.  I'm planning on keeping the Kenmore, after all it will sew through a wooden ruler...not really all that impressive as the ruler they demonstrated on was balsa wood...does a great job on heavy material though...and I just might need a back up.  
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960






My sample stitches.  Check out the dog, I did it facing left and right.


When we got home Saturday afternoon, I found Jimmy up on the sewing table barking at someone outside.  Sorry pup, you are not protecting anyone.  He jumped up on the chair, then the table, knocking  down some of the accessories and manuals.  After scolding him and removing him from the table, I started straightening things up.  I found some of his dog hair behind the sewing machine.  It made me sick, he could have knocked the machine on the floor.  The whole time I have had my Kenmore on this table, he never has jumped up there.  Why now.  Needless to say the chair will no longer be by the table when I am not in the room.

Jimmy barking at someone outside.


After being caught on the table, he is trying to figure out how to get down







Floral print I found in a stash I got from a neighbor
  Here is my first project on my new machine.  I stayed up late Sunday night doing it.  I won't be doing that again, because I was so excited, I couldn't sleep.  I'm going to make plans on sewing in the mornings before I go to work. A few years ago a neighbor was moving, she was in her 80's, and she asked me if I wanted to buy her stash of material for $35.  She had a small 4-drawer dresser packed with nice size pieces. Well of course I wanted it.  I found this floral one in the stash, must have been 2-3 yards all one piece.  I found some red material to match and made this apron.  As you can see the red is used for the ties along with the back.  Yes, it is reversible.




The back of the apron, I used one of the decorative stitches that goes completely around the edge of the apron.  My signature was added prior to sewing the two sides together. 

Happy Reading !
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment