Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Apron for Olivia



On Jan 11, I post pictures of material for future projects.  Saturday afternoon, I finished the one for my great niece, Olivia.    These are the prints I used. 
 

To make the straps, I cut long strips of fabric 2 ½ inches wide.  With right sides together, I sewed the strips in half on the long side.  To turn them right side out, I used a nifty little gadget my husband made me when my girls were little.   

My husband cut plumbing conduit in 12” pieces.

Then cut the bottom half of a wire hanger off, shaped one end into a little hook.

I place the material tube on the conduit.

Slide the wire hook inside the conduit until the hook is sticking out the other end.

Grab the material with the hook and pull the material through the center of the conduit.

The tube is now right side out.  I can now straighten and press the tube flat.  I sew close to the edges of the strap to keep it flat.
I then basted the straps on to the apron front.  Next, I pinned the straps to the front of the apron so they would not be in the way of sewing the front and back together. Then with right sides together, I stitched the front and back of the apron together, leaving an opening in the bottom to turn it and making sure to catch all the straps to both sides of the material.    I then turned the apron right side out, pressed the seams flat, then stitched around the entire apron edge to keep the apron flat and to strengthen the strap locations.  (Sorry, I did not take pictures of this part in the construction of the apron, I will the next time I make one)

Back of the finished apron.

Front of finished apron

And of course my signature on the front and back.

 

My sister-in-law, Denise, posted this picture of her grand-daughter, Olivia, with the apron on.  Judging by the smile on her face, I think she liked it.
Olivia


Happy Reading !
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment