Thursday, January 9, 2014

Last Minute Gift

The Sunday before Christmas we were walking through Walmart it dawned on me that we had not gotten anything for my husband's aunt, who was coming for Christmas.  We started thinking about what would an 89 year old need.  We started looking at things to buy her, but couldn't come up with anything.  
I said to my husband that I could make her a lap quilt, but of course time was limited as Christmas was just a few days away.  So the next thought was to just buy her a throw or a fleece blanket.  We were not impressed with the selection we were seeing, so we came home and I made one that evening.  It took me about 2 hours and went together so fast, that I plan on doing some more with this same pattern.  

I had these fabrics left over from another Christmas project I made my Sister-in-law.

The completed lap quilt. 


I started by cutting strips from each print measuring 2 1/2 inches, 3 1/2 inches  and 5 1/2 inches.  Mixing the prints up so I had one size of 3 different prints sewn together.  Once I completed this I was going to cut into a block the same width as the 3 pieces sewn together.  Then I realized I would  only get one block out of the fat quarters that I had, so I ended up cutting some off the 5 1/2 inch end, which resulted in the two end pieces about the same size.  I was then able to get two blocks out of each fat quarter length.  The block ended up being about 8 1/2 x 8 1/2. After cutting the blocks, I just alternated them, stitched them together and the top was done.  Added the back, used a wavy stitch to do the quilting between the blocks, added the binding and I was done.  

My husband was surprised I got this done so quickly, as some of my other projects took so long to complete.  

His aunt loved it and said she was going to put it on her table.  I'm glad I took a few hours of my day to make her happy.



The finishing touch.



Watch for my more lengthier Christmas projects soon.

Happy Reading !
Ann

NOTE: Even though mine is not exactly the same, I found the original pattern on Amy Smart's blog Diary Of A Quilter
 

No comments:

Post a Comment