Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sister-in-Law quilt

Back in April my husband's brother (Denny) and wife (Wanda) came to town.  The guys enjoyed going to the NRA convention, and us gals went to Connor Prairie.  I really enjoyed the time we spent together and wanted to show her my appreciation.  So I made her a Zipper quilt.   I found a pattern in the magazine BLOCK by Missouri Star Quilt Company.  It was easy and quick to put together, which is good for me as I am just learning.  Check out the pictures of my progress through this quilt.  


I chose blue and yellow fabrics from what I had on hand. I knew Wanda liked blue.  I have always like the way blue and yellow looked on a quilt. I started with 5 inch squares and 2 1/2 inch yellow strips.

Sewing the squares to the yellow strips.  I like how this went together, FAST.
Sewn together in one long strip and they stacked on their own.

Then I cut them in half.
Next, I laid out the pieces so the yellow piece alternated on each side, making a zipper look.  I tried to make sure that there were no two pieces the same together, or too many yellow prints in one area.

5 rows of 'zippers' sewn together.

One zipper.

Then I added a yellow strip between each 'zipper'

Added yellow fabric down each side to show off the zippers.

A nice wide printed yellow border around the yellow. 

For the back I sewed extra pieces of the front fabrics together.  The binding I made out of the same blue on the backing.

The finished quilt.  It took me some time to quilt this as we moved and my sewing machine broke in the process.  Once we were settled in and I got my machine back from being repaired, I was able to finish the quilt in time to give it to Wanda in September when they came for a visit.
Adding my initials makes me feel like I have accomplished something.   I also made a tag to put on the back, but forgot to take a picture of it. 

The finished back.
Just the right size for cuddling under with a good book or movie. 



Happy Reading! 
Ann




2 comments:

  1. That's great, Ann! It's very pretty. Your pictures and explanation are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. That means a lot to me.

      Delete