Monday, January 5, 2015

Gift For Kathy

Remember this?  I asked that you check back to see what I made with this.  



An assortment of pinks and greens, two of Kathy's favorite colors.  I cut these five inch squares from material I had on hand.  Large pieces with strange cuts on one end, I was able to cut several squares out of the one end and still have a nice size piece of material left over.  I must have gone cutting crazy, because I sure have a lot of five inch squares left over.

Short story about the material:  I had bought a small dresser packed full of material from an elderly woman who was getting ready to move into assisted living.  She made beautiful quilts and she had this little stock pile of material and offered it to me for $35.  My husband got his two wheeler and we moved the little dresser from her house, across the street, into mine.  I have been trying to use most of it in my projects instead of buying more fabric, but that does not always work out either and I find myself back at the fabric counter getting more material.  

I chose a Lattice pattern that I had found in Missouri Star Quilt Company's new magazine BLOCK. Watching the tutorial helps to see exactly what the block should look like going step by step.  


I cut all the 5 inch squares diagonally and cut 1 1/2 inch by 8 inch out of white on white fabric.


Long chain of sewing the triangles on to the white strips.  Matching greens and pinks so no two are on the same white strip.


Two triangles to one white rectangle.  Matching them so that the triangles were the same distance from the ends was difficult.  A trick was to fold the white piece in half and the triangles in half making a sharp crease, then matching the crease before sewing. 
Pressed new block.

Pressed the block in half to prepare to cut off the excess and square up the block.
  
Squaring up and cutting off excess. 



Ready for the next step.

I was anxious about seeing what this would look like, so I laid it out before pressing the blocks flat.  I like the 3-D look. 

Another view.


Pressed and ready to sew.

All the blocks sewn together.



Border one, the same white on white I used for the lattice to tie it together.

Border two.

Border three.

Final border. 

Some of the quilting I did.  Nothing fancy, just straight stitches. 

Another straight stitch.  I would try to do different designs in each block.

Along with some of the straight stitching, I would use one of my decorative stitches.  This one came out good.



Ready for the binding.

I put the roll of binding on the lever of my sewing table.  This was cool as it was not dragging all over the floor and I was able to unroll a little at a time. 


The finished back.  You can tell what sections have more quilting than others.  The lower right hand area I tried to put the letter 'K'.  It did not come out as I wanted but I was not going to rip all that out. 

The finished front.  Though my corners did not always match up, I like how it came out.


Final Touches - Label on the back and my initials on the front.


Come back soon as I will be posting a quick stocking stuffer I found in another BLOCK magazine.





Happy Reading! 

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment