Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Mats for the Buffet

I finished my mats.  Three total.  Two for drawers and one for the door.

I had several five inch squares leftover from another projects so that was my starting point.  No cutting out any squares.  Yeah! 

First I took two squares with the print sides together.  Stitched 1/4 inch seam around the entire square.  Then cut diagonal lines to make four blocks with two different fabrics.

Opened up this is what it would look like.  I wanted to get this done quick because I am still working on another project, and this took too long to do.  So... 

... I drew a diagonal line on one of the five inch squares, placed two printed sides together, then stitched a 1/4 inch on either side of the line. 

One side of the line

The other side of the line. 

Next to cut down the drawn line to reveal two blocks.

Now to make several more.

Lots of stitching going on here.

 After stitching, cutting and pressing several blocks, I laid them out to see how I wanted them to be sewn together.

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3

I liked the way Version 2 looked when I put several together. So I laid them out this way and started stitching away.

Stitched two blocks together (foreground), then several together in a row (top of picture)

Getting better and better at matching those corners. 


Had some binding left from the same previous project so used that to but between the rows.  What I did next was a shame as this looked so pretty. 

I cut fusible fleece to the size of the drawers (plus 1/2 inch added to top and side for the seam allowance)  Ironed the fleece to the back of the panel.  Cut these out and I now have three mats.

I like how they turned out. 

Now with the mat front faced down on top of a backing fabric. Stitched around the edges and left a small opening to turn the mat right side out. (Sorry about the blurred picture.) 

Top stitched around the edge of the mat and added my initials. 

Below the wine glasses will be a place for the coffee cups.

The large drawer, where I can throw the wine cork remover, wine aerator and coffee accessories.
Small drawer to hold spoons, straws or what have you.  My husband is going to be working on restoring the broken piece of wood.  



I like how they turned out, plus this gave me more ideas on new quilting projects I might want to do.  Doesn't hurt to practice.



Happy Reading! 

Ann




No comments:

Post a Comment