Thursday, July 2, 2015

My 2015 Project - Block 12

Finally, the last block or is it. The pattern calls for twelve different blocks, 42 blocks total, making a quilt that is 6 blocks by 7 blocks.  This is block twelve, the last block in the pattern.  A chopped wonky star.  

The pattern was on four separate sheets of paper and I had to line them up and tape them together. That was a little stressful getting them lined up.  The pattern measured twelve inches by twelve inches.  I also had four pieces of fabric the same size, two of  each color. I put the pattern on the stack of fabric, then cut on the lines shown.


Mixed the colors up to make two orange stars with black back ground and two black stars with orange back ground.  Onto the sewing it back together.

At this point of sewing the pieces together, I realized that I made a mistake.  The large center should have been the opposite color than the points.  Too late now, my stars will all be the same color because I am not a fan of pulling out stitches, and I don't have much of the material left to start over.

All done.  It is not a perfect star, but it is not supposed to be. This was a fun block to do, mostly because it is not exact.
 


The finished blocks.  I did not take pictures of the pre-quilting drawings this time.  I think I am getting anxious to finish this quilt.

Lines and wavy lines.  I liked doing the wavy lines more than the straight lines.

The spiral, with circles and pebbles.  I like the way the curved lines on the points came out, but that spiral needs some serious help. See the back below.


This is a the back of the next star.

I had this all drawn out, but when I started to sew it was too confusing trying to follow the lines.  So I would sew one point down to the center and back up, the next point I would sew partially down and back up.  I love the way this looks.

This is the same star.  It amazes me how different it looks by just turning the block.  This one really looks like a wonky star.  I will have to turn some of the stars on the quilt when I piece it together.


Circle around the star, squiggly lines in the points and stippling in the center.  I love the stippling, so far that is my favorite quilting to do.  I do love the u-shaped squiggly lines too.

The back.
Well, this is not the last block.  I had several 'practice' blocks that I decided to put into the quilt, so to make it 7 blocks by 7 blocks I need 3 more blocks.  Check back soon to see the extra blocks.  





This pattern is from the Building Blocks Quilt by Leah Day. 
 
Happy Reading! 

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment