Saturday, October 17, 2015

20 Year Project Continues

I have trying to make sure I sew at least for an hour a night.  It might not be sewing, it may be cutting or ironing, but I'm trying to get the quilt top finished as I am anxious to start quilting.  Some quilting bug bite me and now I am addicted.  

This is what I have been working on recently.   That 20 year old log cabin quilt. What I started years ago is turning out pretty well, I think.  Even though my seam allowance are not all a quarter inch, the fabrics are different kinds and some have stretched so the lines in the fabric look wavy, there is no rhyme or reason to the colors in this quilt, and I have used some questionable threads (hope it doesn't fall apart)  It is going to be a very scrappy quilt indeed. 

Take a look at some of my progress: 



I started to sew the sashing on the blocks.  I was getting tired of adding another row and another row and another row, I could have done this forever and had huge blocks.  I cut my pink strips 1 1/2 inches wide and started sewing several blocks to one strip.  I ended up with this 4-5 inch piece left over.  Why did I not remember to just sew all the strips together first, did I not learn anything this past year.  So I had to stop and sew the pink strips together (see the diagonal line)


A pile of pink strips being sewn together to make one long strip.


Sewing a diagonal line. Has anyone  noticed that green paper at the top of this picture in the previous post and wondered what that was?  It is a piece of a post it note.  These new LED lights they put in machines are extremely bright and it was reflecting on my foot, so bright it was blinding me and I could not see what I was doing.  So I covered the light up and this seemed to help.  However, once in awhile the paper will be hit by the shank going up and down then it is a bright flickering light.  Talk about nauseating.


All my pick strips sewn together, end to end. They are all connected by a few stitches so I don't have to cut the thread after each one.  Once I cut the connecting stitches it will be one long pink strip.  I think I could make a grass skirt using this method, though I wouldn't know why or when I would need to. 


So there is the diagonal line again.  Just going to cut that corner off so there is a quarter inch seam allowance. 


Fold it over and press it for a nice even seam.  Well the edges are a little off.  I'm getting better though.


All pressed and ready to sew on to the quilt blocks. 

Time for a break:  


I wasn't feeling like sewing one evening so I started to go through by big pink bucket I got at Rural King to hold my scraps of material.  I cut them into different size squares to be used on a future  scrappy quilt.  I have blocks that are 5, 4,3,2-1/2, 2, 1-1/2 inch square. It was very relaxing to just stand there and cut smaller and smaller blocks.. 

Stacks of blocks.  I put them in zip lock back by size. 

And this mess is what is left over.  Into the trash bin it went.

An interesting find:

When I'm not home sewing, I am with my husband in a hardware store. While my husband looks for stuff for his project, I look for crafting items.   I came across these triangle rulers marked on clearance.  I asked my husband if he could use these and he got one, and I got these two.  Some guy who was looking at them also said they were for roofers, little does he know. I'm sure I can find something in my sewing room to use these for.   
More on the 20 year project next time.  Thanks for stopping by.  


Happy Reading! 

Ann

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to do a diagonal on sashing just binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PB. I recently did the Building Blocks Quilt with Leah Day, and between the blocks we did this method. I just went back and read the instructions and it was to bind the blocks together. I am just learning to quilt so your input was appreciated. Thank you.

      Delete