Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Harry Potter Purse

My IN girl's husband's niece is into Harry Potter.  My IN girl asked me if I could make her niece a Harry Potter purse.  I used the same method I used when making the bags for my daughters and sister-in-law.  

I found this Harry Potter fabric at Joanne Fabrics.  I don't believe the black with stars and swirls were part of it, but it did look kind of magical. 

This will be the inside of the bag.  I ironed it on a piece of Bosal Double Sided Adhesive Foam. 
Check out the Bosal website.
For the starting place, I used a good picture of Harry doing his thing.  Then cut parts from the fabric and stitched right sides together then pressed over. I tried to get one of each character that was on the fabric.
Strips of the fabric completed the bag.  Notice some are upside down, this was done purposely, so when I folded the bag, they would be right side up.
I quilted around the characters and made swirls in the gray areas.
The back of the bag.  After stitching up the sides, I folded the lining over the top to complete the edge.
The front of the bag.
Making the strap for the bag.  Sewed a long tube. Attached a string with a safety pin.
Crunched up the tube onto a piece of conduit that my husband had cut for me for turning tubes right side out. I use the hook (also made by my husband from a hanger) to pull the safety pin/string through the conduit.
Pulled the fabric tube through the conduit, the tube is now right side out.  Ironed Flat and attached to the bag.
This is the inside of the bag.  I should have used black thread.  Live and Learn.

I added a magnetic clasp to the bag.

Covered up the the clasp attachment on the inside of the bag.

Squared off the corners.  
I don't have any pictures of the finished product, not sure why, but I believe I might have been rushed to complete. 

IN Girl's niece loves the bag she received in 2016, and I saw her with it just last month still carrying it around.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the red Harry Potter fabric. 

Check out these bags I made previously:
1. IN Girl's Star War Bag
2. FL Girl's 
3. Sister-In-Law's Last Minute Gift

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When ever I go to the store I am always looking for deals on fabric and thread.  Here are a few I got last year.  


Hancock Fabrics went out of business and I found all this great black and white fabric.  Over $170 worth for less than $50, and they required us to purchase two yards of any material we wanted.

I stood in line for 2 hours to purchase this (my husband had to leave the store), because one day I will make a black and white quilt.
The manager had to check the price on this.
Five plus yards for two cents a yard, and it's black and white.

This was a little more expensive, I believe $1.00 a yard.  It will go perfect as a backing for the bandana quilt I plan to make....some day.
Hope you enjoyed this post, will be posting another baby quilt shortly.
 
Happy Reading! 

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment